Sunday, March 13, 2011

Disasters

Just like it's the little things in life that make me happy, it's also the little things that bring me down. I know that this is something that I have to change because it's just not fair. I shouldn't be upset right now because my car is in the shop again, I'm stuck at home and Boyfriend felt that it would be a good idea to go golfing instead of visit me because I'm mad because I'm stuck at home.

I should feel grateful that these are the biggest problems in my life.

On Friday, I was woken up around 5:15 a.m. with blaring sirens. There was a four-alarm fire a few blocks away from my house. The first report said that it was just in one empty house that was in the middle of being renovated and immediately it was relief- no one was there and no responders were injured.

When I saw this headline, though, I was also informed of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan and watched the tragedy with the rest of the world.
(Photo from CNN.com)

I left my apartment to drive home around 7:30 and smelled or saw no smoke in OG. By the time I got home an hour and a half later, the report I read a few hours ago had drastically changed. Most of the houses in OG were built in the late 1800s and are very close together. The fire had spread and destroyed eight other buildings and damaged five more.
(Photo from the Patch)

But what if that fire was two blocks over? What if that earthquake triggered a tsunami that did affect the Northern California coast where my family lives?

I know that I have no right to be upset now that I'm stuck without a car or grumpy because my friends still in college are on their way to warm places for Spring Break.

It's times like this that I know that I'm truly a lucky person and I do have to be thankful that these are my biggest problems.



No comments:

Post a Comment