Friday, April 1, 2011

New York State of Mind

And so it begins.

Here’s to another season being a Phillies fan surrounded by (or stuck in, whichever sounds better) a tangle of New York fans.

After four years of living in North Jersey for school, I’m now relocated in Central Jersey, where Phillies fans are almost as few and far between.

I still get the typical reaction. It’s usually one of three:
1. Ew, Phillies fans are so obnoxious.
2. Way to jump on that bandwagon.
3. I’m sorry.

I’ve learned to just smile. I’m tired of explaining that:
1. I’m obviously not one of the obnoxious ones and there is no need to group me in with them. Maybe a few drinks in, but not on the daily basis. Nor monthly basis because I can’t even remember the last time I had more than a glass of wine. (See? Phillies fans CAN be classy!) C’mon, try again. (Yet I don’t apologize for the obnoxious fans. They are indeed obnoxious, but why blend in when you can make a scene?)

2. I have been a fan since … forever. I had Phillies posters hanging among my Hanson, NSYNC and O-Town posters. I cried the day Curt Schilling was traded. I drove my friends insane with my baseball obsessions and argued with everyone over how awesome they were. (65 wins in a season does not equal awesome. None the less, I was a fan.) And to all my friends from elementary school and middle school currently with Facebook statuses about the Phillies- I remember.

3. There’s no reason to be sorry. I’m sorry that the Phillies will beat your team.

That being said, Happy Opening Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment